Sunday, July 5, 2009

Two Month Checkups

I can not believe we went to our two month check-up all ready! I can not believe that these little guys are 8 weeks. What a blessing. They are so much fun and they are starting to be so much more interactive and playful. We also got our first smiles from both babies this week!

Zachary now weighs 11 lbs. 11 oz. and is 22 1/4 inches long. He is a rock star. He is right about at 50% for his actual age (8 weeks), and he is at 95% for his corrected age (4 weeks). They will get two dots on the growth chart until they are two years because of their prematurity. One is their actual age and the second one is their age if they would have been born on their due date. Because they were one month early, they will always have that 4 week discrepancy.

Maxwell weighs 11 lbs. 8 oz. and is also 22 1/4 inches long. His head is a centimeter smaller than Zachary's, he is also a rock star. He is right behind Zach on the charts. Max has a few more "issues." He spits up after every feeding, we are thinking reflux, but haven't ventured to try medicine yet. So far, we are just trying to feed him smaller amounts more often, sit him up after feedings, burp him all the time, etc. He also has an umbilical hernia that our pediatrician is not concerned about at all yet. It really pops out when he cries. :( They will watch it and if it worsens, possibly consider surgery. Maxy also has a hemangioma (A hemangioma of infancy is a benign self involving tumor of endothelial cells (the cells that line blood vessels). In most cases it appears during the first days or weeks of life and will have resolved at the latest by age 10. In infancy, it is the most common tumor.) It is on the back of his head and you really don't notice it. His hair is starting to grow back nicely, thank you. (For those of you that maybe don't know, Max had cradle cap when he was about 3 weeks old and I didn't want anyone to think that I wasn't doing a good job caring for him, so I kept combing his hair to get it out and one morning he woke up bald.)

Both of the boys have heart murmurs. It was nothing that the doctor was concerned about, but she is going to refer us to a cardiologist just to get a second opinion. Zachary has had one from birth, but then it kind of went away, and now she could hear it again. We are thinking that they are "innocent murmurs" because of the way that they are growing. They don't have any effect on the baby.

The immunizations went really well. I was so busy with one baby, then the other, that I never had a chance to tear up. The boys did really well too. I kept them as relaxed as I could until the shots came. They had periods of fussiness on Friday night into Saturday, but they are doing super today. I rotated Tylenol and Motrin for comfort. It is so nice to be a nurse & a mommy.

I am having some exciting changes in my career. After 5 1/2 years with my client, have decided that I am ready for a new challenge in my professional life (to go along with the changes in my personal life). I am thrilled about it and can not stop smiling! I will start back to work in the next few days. We have nanny's coming into our house to care for the twins, we are so glad about that! Less exposure to germs, weather, etc.

Dustin's dealership (he works at Princeton Auto Center, a GM store), got the "Congratulations, we are going to reaffirm you in bankruptcy and look forward to being part of the new GM." We never really had a doubt, but they were closing some pretty large stores.

We had a great 4th. We took the boys out in the truck and watched fireworks in town and came home and set off some of our own! The neighbors all came outside and cheered. I was nervous at first, but watching how happy Dustin was making everyone else (and himself), I let my guard down and helped him unravel them. :) The neighbors then came over and held the babies. :)

They are sleeping really well. Only up once or twice.

I think this is probably long enough. I will try to update more often and HAPPY JULY! We have a lot of birthdays in the next few days (Great-Grandma Ginny on the 7th, Dustin on the 9th, my Godfather, Joe on the 12th, Grandma Nancy on the 17th and I will be 28 on the 18th!) So, just in case I don't get a chance-- HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY AND DADDY!

Love you all,
Thank you for following our blog!
(I will hopefully get pictures posted soon!)
Sara

No comments: