Thursday, April 9, 2009

Update: Bed Rest & Procardia

First of all, Thank you to everyone who sent us messages, e-mails, thoughts and prayers after our very scary day earlier in the week.

Being a pregnant momma certainly does not come without fear, worry, or stress, but we feel all of your love and positive thoughts and it DOES make a difference.

I went back into the clinic yesterday for my 2nd dose of the steroid, Betamethasone. I was also hooked up to the Non-Stress Test monitor. The babies were doing better than on Tuesday, but my uterus was still as irritable as ever, and my contractions were fairly regular.

My fetal fibronectin test came back negative, which the doctor said is a 90% chance that I will NOT deliver in the next two weeks, but she was very concerned about the irritability and the irritation that they were experiencing. She said it was pretty obvious that they were trying to come out, NOW.

She put me on Procardia, a heart medicine, to calm my uterus and stop the contractions. I need to take it three times a day for 10 days, and then maybe I can switch to the once daily extended release pill.

Procardia has some side effects for me, like lowering my blood pressure, heart flutters, flushing, headaches, dizziness, etc. I need to lay down on my left side for at least an hour after I take the medicine and I can not drive.

I am also on Level II bed rest. Level II is similar to Level III with resting in bed, on my left side, but at least I can get out of bed to eat with Level II. Dr. Roberts said if I am feeling ok, I can even get up to go outside. But, then I should go right back to bed.

The Procardia takes a few days to kick in, so, I am still waiting for that. I am also trying to find the best times to take it around resting schedules.

We are taking everything day by day, minute by minute actually. I am not making plans until right before... I am sure we won't be going to Easter. I just need to make my main job to grow, grow, grow these babies.

They are big now, almost 4 lbs. I would guess. SO, they would do ok outside of the womb, but at 31 1/2 weeks, they would require almost a month in the NICU.

I will go to the U of M next Wednesday for another growth scan & see the doctor again on Thursday.

(((((((HUGS))))))))) and Love to all of you, Sara


Tina said...

Oh Sara, you, Dustin, and the little dudes are in our prayers. I know that you are doing everything you can to ensure that they are healthy. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

karmapearl said...

*HUGS* you three are in my thoughts!!!

Grow boys, grow! Stay put! That's an order!!!

Whitney said...

OMG Sara, how scary, but it sounds like everything is under control now. Stay healthy and I'll keep you and the boys in my prayers! :)
Lots of love, Whitney (from iVillage)

Kimmygintx said...

{{HUGS}} Sara you are so strong!

Definitely keep us updated... And for the little fellas, STAY IN!! Don't even turn that foil back! ;)

Anonymous said...

We were worried when you didn't come today to biology! Know I can appreciate why. You are right-GROWING THOSE BABIES IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO!! Forget about everything else. I know you will make it just fine. Listen to the doctor. Bring your lay-down lawnchair outside for 15-minute bursts of sunshine. Keep on growing! :) Melissa

The Batson Family... said...


Sorry that I am just now reading this! I am trying to get back to normal myself after surgery. Anyway, back to you since you are the important one right now....

I am sorry that you are going through all of this right now, poor thing. Just rest, relax, and let Dustin spoil you more than ever!!! :) I will kee you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, not much longer to go!