Tuesday, December 30, 2008

17w, 3d -- Appointment Update

Good Evening,

I had to venture out today in the snow to go to my OB appointment. I tried to reschedule it for later this week or early next week, but unfortunately, Dr. Roberts is booked solid until Jan. 12th. My appointment today was rescheduled once because she was on vacation last week, so, I had no choice but to go.

I have been nervous and cry-y all day. I think it is from exhaustion, hormones or probably a combination of everything. I am trying to snap out of it, but without much luck. Maybe after a good nights rest, I will feel MUCH better.

I got to my appointment and did the normal pee in a cup. I then had to wait in the waiting room for the nurse to call me back. She weighed me, I gained 5 lbs., the doctor said that it was good for having twins. It was the first weight that I have gained since being pregnant and I am now at my pre-pregnancy weight.

My BP was 128/68, the systolic is a little high, the doctor didn't think so, but I do! I also had a trace of protein in my urine. It is normal, but of course, I don't want to start down that road of pre-ecclampsia. I need to drink even more water (this has been difficult for me, especially since I can't drink while I am eating), and I need to eat LOTS more protein & a little less salt. I have been craving salty foods, and after months of nasty vomiting, if it tastes good and I think it is going to stay down, I eat it. I have had a little swelling in my legs, so, I just need to be more vigilant.

I also think I need to focus more on making my #1 priority being pregnant to these twins. I am still so preoccupied with every thing else, when I really, really need to just focus on being pregnant. The laundry, housework, etc., etc. will be there when I am done, but if I am not careful, our babies might not be. And I don't even want to THINK about that.

Dr. Roberts just went on and on about how great everything is going and how good it all looked. She didn't tell me what my uterus was measuring at and it took her a little bit to find the left twins heartbeat. She did say that they are laying on top of each other, but we will learn more next week.

I also decided to have the blood test for the QUAD screening. It will test for down syndrome and a few neuro defects. It will not change a single thing, however, if we will have a special needs child, it will be important for us to deliver in or near a hospital with a Level I nursery, rather than trying to LifeFlight them down to the cities after birth. They send the blood sample to Salt Lake City, Utah, so it will take more than a week to get the results.

I can not wait for our BIG ultrasound. I want to see our babies again and be reassured that they are growing on target and healthy.

Stay Warm,
Love, Sara & Dustin

No comments: